Upcoming workshops and retreats:
Opening to God in Silence: A Lenten Weekend Retreat
Friday, March 8, 5:30 pm to Sunday, March 10, 2 pm
Contemplative teacher Thomas Keating is famous for saying, “Silence is God’s first language; everything else is a poor translation.” During our time together, we will practice and explore silence in a supportive, community setting. There will be opportunities to learn about the practice of silence to enhance your practice during and after the weekend. Of course, there will be plenty of time for silence as you linger with God while you eat, sleep and relax.
DATE/TIME: Friday, March 8, 5:30 pm to Sunday, March 10, 2 pm
LOCATION: Carmel Hill, Little Flower Monastery, 10789 N Deroche Rd, Deroche, BC
COST: $325.00 Includes 6 meals. Please bring your own snacks.
ACCOMMODATION: Private room with washroom.
Spaces are limited. Register Early!
- During Friday supper (6pm) and Sunday lunch you are welcome to get to know one another and enjoy conversation.
- Silence is observed after supper Friday until before lunch Sunday
- Three group sessions. Sessions will provide possible prayer practices that could be used during the weekend.
- Individual spiritual direction session (optional)
- Reminder: The retreat will be during Lent and we will incorporate this into the weekend. Don’t let this be a hindrance to your participation if Lent is not a part of your spiritual practice.
- Morning and evening prayers from the Celtic Book of Prayer
- Closing communion and group sharing
FACILITATORS: SoulStream partners, Marcia Fretheim and Rod Janz are both trained and experienced spiritual directors, retreat leaders and prayer and meditation teachers.
All proceeds go to SoulStream Initiatives, a non-profit organization that seeks to support the contemplative lifestyle and encourage others to live authentically with Jesus.
* * *
Lent through the Lens of Love Retreat
Facilitated by Catherine M. Kelly, M.Div.
Sat, 9 March 2019
9:30 AM – 12:00 PM PST
Experience Lent through the lens of love. Explore 3 Lenten Gospel narratives leading up to the Passion which reveal great love. Engage the scriptures, imagination, music, poetry and art, and the spirituality of Ignatius of Loyola. The morning includes quiet time for prayer and reflection as well as small group faith sharing. All are welcome.
Retreat begins at 9:30 am. Lunch begins at 12 pm. Coffee break mid-morning. Early bird rate until Feb. 28.
Parking. Due to graduate classes in session at St. Mark’s College, there is very limited parking. We have arranged for parking across the street at Carey College, 5920 Iona Drive, for $8. Please pay for your parking pass when you purchase your ticket. Or consider carpooling, taking public transit, walking, biking, or making alternate arrangements.
* * *
Nurturing Contemplative Experiences:
A Workshop in Facilitation
The mission of SoulStream centres on nurturing contemplative experience with Christ.
Many Partners and friends have felt the invitation to offer contemplative experiences to others as a way to fulfil this mission in their own circle of relationships. As a result, the SoulStream Leadership Team thought it would be very helpful to explore with others some of the themes of facilitation that have made the courses offered by SoulStream so helpful.
This workshop is for those who:
- have a growing experience of contemplative life
- and are interested in facilitating contemplative experiences with a range of focus, such as an introduction to contemplative living, a one-day prayer retreat, or a weekend introduction to various prayer forms
The intent will be to explore three core values that undergird SoulStream facilitation:
- facilitating out of our own honest and current life experience
- offering the material with personal vulnerability
- and working together in community as facilitators.
Within the framework of those values, the workshop will also offer opportunity to explore specific aspects of planning for such an experience:
- developing desired outcomes
- asking questions that help to go deeper
- considering the value of humour
- addressing potential issues we might encounter
- finding an appropriate rhythm and structure
In preparation, participants will be expected to engage with some material prior to the workshop.
We invite your participation!
Date: March 22-24, 2019
Times: Beginning: 7:00 pm Friday – Ending: 3:00 pm Sunday
Location: King’s Fold Retreat and Renewal Centre, 72049 Hwy 40 North, Cochrane AB
Cost: Accommodations and meals at King’s Fold Retreat and Renewal Centre and course fees: $395
Register here before March 10, 2019
* * *
Intro to Ignatian Prayer Silent Retreat
SAVE THE DATE
Date: October 18-20, 2019
Location: Carmel Hill, 10789 N Deroche Rd, Deroche, BC
Facilitator: Chris Chiu and Esther Hizsa
If you would like to be part of this retreat, please save the date in your calendar. More details will be available in the near future on the SoulStream website.
Banner: “Hummingbird” by Ed Dahl. Used with permission.